Sunday, March 19, 2006

 

Puke Racing 18 & 19 March 2006 Historics

The meeting was run by the Historic Racing Club, and there were big fields of historic racers, F5000s and sports and GT cars, including a very fast TVR lapping 55 sec, the same as the fastest F5000! The Model-A had its first day on the Pukekohe track, and lap time was 2m 50 seconds. I improved the ignition points setting on the second day and unofficial time was 2m 23 sec. The Classic Regularity Trial grid is supposed to allow old vehicles to be out there and be used, but it has been hijacked by people with modern cars that don't have roll cages, so Cobras, M3 BMWs and Porsches whistled past me at 150 MPH, which was a bit disconcerting. The winner is the one who runs closest to their nominated times, several were within 0.5 seconds. My best lap was about 30 seconds under my nominated time, so not much chance of winning! The car caused a lot of interest, was heavily photographed and I was even asked for an autograph!. I will post some other pics if I can get a copy.

Puke is 2.8km long, so that's an average speed of 70.48 km/h or 44 MPH. A Model-A should do about 60MPH, so there is some scope for tweaking.

I left the track at mid-day (missing the second race) for the family do at Audrey & Noel's, covered on nanajulies blog.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?